First way to reproduce:
1. Log in
2. Hi, username! > My Bookmarks > Bookmark External Work
3. Fill in the required fields, plus Creator's Summary and any tags, for a work not on the Archive
4. Press "Create"
5. Log out
6. Log in as some other user
7. Hi, username! > My Bookmarks > Bookmark External Work
8. In the URL field, begin to enter the same URL you bookmarked in step 3, and then select it from the autocomplete.
Second way to reproduce:
1. Repeat steps 1-7 above
2. Follow the instructions to install the AO3 External Bookmarklet in your browser
3. In another browser tab, go to the external URL you bookmarked
4. Use the AO3 External Bookmarklet to create a new bookmark for that URL
What should happen
After you've chosen something from the URL autocomplete (or used the bookmarklet), the Archive should find the existing Creator, Title, Creator's Summary, and Creator's Tags information for that URL and fill in those fields. (This may take a few seconds. We may want some sort of loading indicator as a future enhancement.)
What happens instead
Nothing. You have to enter the work info yourself.
Because it’s possible to have multiple external works with the same URL, we have to pick one to get the information from – we’re going with the first one. So your best bet for testing is to make a bookmark for a URL that’s never been bookmarked before (e.g. a blog post made in the last few days) and then see if the information from the bookmark you just made gets autofilled the next time you try to bookmark that URL.
Created an external work bookmark: https://test.archiveofourown.org/bookmarks/6786854
When I selected the original URL from autocomplete in the Bookmark External Work form, the rest of work info (creator, title, creator’s summary, creator’s tags - fandom/rating/category/relationship/character) are all auto-filled correctly.
When I used the bookmarklet on the original URL, I landed on the same form, with all the same info pre-filled correctly.
That’s an existing issue (i.e. the same behavior happens on production), probably caused by the same thing that turns https links into http links in challenge sign-ups. I’ve made an issue for it:
We have a new issue for the remaining problem, so this issue should be good to go.