Admin: Bulk user search reports incorrect number of emails found if capitalisation is different

Description

  1. Log in as admin

  2. Go to manage users > bulk email search

  3. Search for an email address with different capitalisation than appears in the account records (eg if the email address is foo@ao3.org, search Foo@ao3.org)

  4. The result will say "1 emails searched. 0 found. 1 not found." and list the email address that you searched (eg Foo@ao3.org), but below that section will be displayed the account with the differently punctuated email address (foo@ao3.org)

  5. Download the CSV output

  6. Open the CSV output in your preferred program

  7. It will have an entry for "both" email addresses, one with an account next to it, one without.

What I expect to happen:

I would expect it to ignore capitalisation altogether, and just return that it found the email address I searched, and list it once in the csv.

Please also test that:

  • the “Not found” header does not display when all results are found

  • the text under the field where you enter the email addresses no longer mentions “URLs”

Activity

Show:
Ariana
November 16, 2017, 3:45 PM
Sarken
January 26, 2020, 10:54 AM
Edited

The email for my account is myemail@example.com (not really, but I don’t want to put my email here) so I searched for Myemail@example.com.

It correctly reported that the email was found and listed it only in the found section. However! The “Not found” header was still there, above “1 user found,” which was confusing. Could we make that only display if there are actually emails that are not found?

I downloaded the CSV and it correctly listed my email once. It didn’t list my username in the Username column, though. Is that right?

ETA: Never mind. I see what happened. I did the search with my actual email and changed what was entered in the fields to take the above screenshot. I left that example address in there and press “Download CSV,” which gave me a CSV with no username and the “myemail@example.com” address. When I tried the search again and press download without changing what was in the field, it was fine. Makes sense!

Sarken
January 27, 2020, 3:54 AM
Edited

The confusing “Not found” header is gone, so looks good to me!

ETA: And now it says this under the field for entering emails: “Email addresses to find; one per line.

redsummernight
February 4, 2020, 6:07 AM
  • The text under the email field says "Email addresses to find; one per line."

  • Searched for USER1@example.com (there exists a user for user1@example.com):

    • Result summary was "1 email entered. 1 searched. 1 found. 0 not found. 0 duplicates."

    • The header "Not found" did not appear.

    • The header "1 user found" did.

    • The CSV contained:

  • Searched for USER1@example.com, user1@example.com, user2@example.com, user420@example.com. The last email is not used.

    • Result summary was "4 emails entered. 3 searched. 2 found. 1 not found. 1 duplicate."

    • The header "Not found" appeared, with user420@example.com.

    • The header "2 users found" appeared, listing user1@example.com and user2@example.com.

    • The CSV contained:

Looks good.

DeployedToBeta

Assignee

Ariana

Reporter

Alison Watson

Roadmap

Admin

Priority

Medium

Affects versions

Fix versions

Components

BackEnd

Difficulty

Medium

Required Access Level

Admin

Milestone

Internal 0.9
Configure